Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"Missionary Mom"



Hello!!

Transfers were last week and I am, once again, TRAINING. However, this time it's a sister who is straight out of the MTC.  Here we call them our "babies" or our "daughters"....so, I'm a mom! Woo! Haha, jokes. But it is kind of like being a mother.  Once I found out I was training, I set the goal that I would always teach her with patience and love.  The few days before she arrived I prayed for an increase in those attributes and for guidance from Heavenly Father.  And you know what?  I have had so much patience, more than I thought I would, and I have loved her from the start!  I truly know that as we try to better ourselves for the benefit of others, we do receive strength and guidance from God.  Also, she is from Mexico and is adorable!  I will be fluent in Spanish by the time our two transfers together are over...right? :)

My new companion, Sister Lopez :)


                Also, the weather here has been amazing for the past 2 days and I don't even need to wear tights or a coat when I go outside!  I love the sunshine so much!  It's funny because I am back in the Beehive House, where I first started my mission, and we are just inside most of the time so I get a little antsy when I'm on the front desk and there aren't any tours to give.  I just want to run outside for a few hours, haha. 

                Awesome news!  Dana was baptized two weeks ago!!  It was so great! It was crazy though when driving to her baptism because we received the wrong directions, so we only made it to her baptism for the closing song...bummer.  BUT she was shining and I was so happy for her!  She made a promise with Heavenly Father to always follow Christ and remember Him, and by doing that act, she was also cleansed of all of her sins.  I couldn't have been happier for her!

Dana's baptism!!


                Something I have learned this week is that Heavenly Father truly does send us guidance and love through other people.  The past few weeks have been tough ones for me, but I have been able to talk to people that have truly lifted my spirits!  And sometimes it was people that I didn't even know who mentioned things or gave a talk in church that I felt was particularly directed to me.  It's amazing how when we are really trying to do our best and praying to receive guidance, that it DOES come.  I can count at least 4 people that touched my life the past few weeks and were little angels doing God's errand without even knowing it.  I promise that God is watching over us and that it's so important for us to be listening to the small promptings that come to us to help family, friends, and other children of God. 

One of our last nights as companions!


                One of my favorite experiences before the new transfer started was when Sister Mathias and I gave a tour to a Mormon family and their 2 exchange students from France who were unfamiliar with the church and are staying with the family for about a year.   It is always amazing to teach the Gospel, but there was one particular part of the tour that meant a lot to me.  We were downstairs in the North Visitor's Center talking about the Restoration of the Gospel, when I was impressed to share a certain topic at a time different than when I usually do and it was cool to see how doing that really affected the 2 listening exchange students.  They had many questions and when I shared my testimony, I felt that the Spirit was working directly through me.  It was one of those many experiences I've had here where I don't know what I'm saying....like I don't know where the words are coming from.  That's when I know I'm saying something that they needed to hear that was specific to and for them.  I have learned that as we let go of control on tours and let the Spirit guide, miracles happen.  They both accepted a Book of Mormon and are willing to read it to see if it's true!  After the tour, the mom came up to me and said "thank you....so much", and it looked like she was about to tear up.

Look who I saw!! My second family :)


                Being a missionary is such an enriching and edifying experience.  We are truly in the refiner's fire and our faith and trust in the Lord is tested and strengthened.   I am so grateful that I decided to sacrifice 18 months to serve the Lord.  We gave a tour to a family today whose son is reporting to the MTC tomorrow.  He said he was excited, but I could tell he was pretty nervous.  And that's okay!... a mission can be a scary thought because of how big the commitment is.  But, I promise, it is so worth it! Nothing can bless your life more than deciding to serve a mission!  You will have the opportunity to help those you meet come closer to Christ and feel a greater sense of happiness and joy in their life that they couldn't find anywhere else.  If you are doubting whether to go, don't doubt.  Doubts are never from God.  God only brings clarity.  "Sacrifice brings blessings" and that statement couldn't be more correct. 

I know this Gospel is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ restored to the church today.  I know that Jesus is the Christ and that He is our Lord and Savior. 

I love you all!!

Sister Asay








No comments:

Post a Comment