Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Armour of God



Hello everyone!!

First off, I want to congratulate my little brother for getting into BYU!!!!!  I received the letter from my family yesterday telling me the great news and I couldn't be happier or more proud of Daniel :) So stoked to go to school together, little brother! 

We went as a Zone to the Temple this morning! Such a great way to start our day :)

Something I realized is that I LOVE teaching someone English.  It's the funniest thing ever.  One night, after an exhausting day, my companion and I walked through our apartment door, went to our room, and just collapsed on our beds.  Sister Lopez said, "Ahhh, Hum Sweet Hum!"  I chuckled and said, "Home Sweet Home?"   She said, "Yeah, yeah, Hum Sweet Hum".   Then she realized she was saying a different word and we both started laughing.  It took a few tries for her to finally say "home" and then I had to explain the differences between "home", "ham", and "hum", ... I loved it.  So many similar funny moments like this have happened this week!

Um yeah, we may have gone to East High in High School Musical on our Pday....




Sharpay's locker! Soo fabulous!


Sister Lopez and I got asked out by a guy from Switzerland on the Square.  What?  I just kind of stood there, and then Sister Lopez explained why we couldn't go on dates as missionaries.  I was totally thrown off because we were talking about the Gospel and then he just snuck the question in there.  So yep, I didn't know what to do.  Good thing Sister Lopez hadn't become "awkward" and could answer for us.  Ha, compy to the rescue!

Roommate snack before bed! Guacamole and chips!

Alright, this week has been pretty great!  We had a Zone Training Meeting all about our purpose as missionaries!!  We have a goal from October Conference to April Conference to have 600 children of God accept baptism and, therefore, promise to always follow Christ.  Quite the goal! We have been talking a lot about our purpose as missionaries and about how obedience brings blessings.  It's been so great and uplifting!  Sometimes I think we forget TRULY why we are out here.  We might teach and invite, but we need to always remember that we are not here to have casual conversations about the Gospel- we are missionaries serving, only for a short period of time, to help bring greater happiness to those around us!  I feel that I usually am bold with extending commitments, but it's always awesome to be pumped up again!  I had a really cool experience the other night at the Beehive House when a young member couple came in and asked for a tour.  We talked for a few minutes, got to know them a little bit, and right as we were leaving the room to start the tour, a guy came inside and joined last second.  I originally wasn't sure how the tour would turn out, but we had SUCH a great tour and we talked about so many different Gospel topics!  The members added great insight as well!  Sister Lopez and I testified and invited him throughout the tour.  All in all, he accepted a Book of Mormon, referred, and we have an appointment to call him!!  Little miracles :)

This week I was reading in the New Testament during personal study and I read Ephesians 6:13-17 which says, "Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.  Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God". 



Fun fact, when I was in high school, I went to a camp that was for the young women in the church and there was a lesson given where one of the girls had to put on a paper helmet, shield, and sword and we discussed the "Armor of God".  Reading this scripture, I realized just how much our church really does take SO much insight from the Bible!  This entire time I thought the lesson at Girl's Camp was just a cool thing someone made up.....NOPE, it's in the Bible!  And I really love how this scripture is for each of us individually, not just for those during ancient times. The Book of Mormon and the Bible are relevant to our day and we can each put on the whole armor of God!  Heavenly Father wants us to be protected from those "fiery darts of the wicked", meaning temptation and distractions that are of the world, and live unburdened lives.  We can have this armor that protects us as we follow the commandments of God and put our hearts in a place where our desire to follow Christ become determination to follow Christ and His example.  As we put forth the effort and faith, stand firm with our armor, we can overcome anything this world throws at us.  I am so grateful for the scriptures, our resources from God, that bring us knowledge and peace!

“Although His presence is unseen by our eyes, His unending love is felt in our hearts" - Greg Olsen

I love you all!!

Sister Asay 

Sister Asay Sighting!  One of Catherine's good friends, Jamie, was married at the Salt Lake Temple and Catherine was able to see her.  Beautiful bride and beautiful missionary!












No comments:

Post a Comment